The power of the image.

I try and steer clear of politics especially worldwide politics but with so many conflicts around the world it is hard not to take some sort of interest in what is happening. Some conflict are so long-standing no one really knows what caused them. Others are smash and grab situations where one war lord wants what another has got. I read about forty five deaths in a machete attack on a neighbouring town part of a long standing disagreement. All of those deaths were family members they were mums and dads daughters and sons. People. Just like you and me.
What got me to think about these conflicts was an individual photo. Yes it was an award winning photo but it just goes to show the power of the image! The photo I was so taken by was the winner of this years ‘World Press Photo of the Year’ an image taken by Yasuyoshi  Chiba and titled Straight Voice. That image has haunted me for a few weeks.

It’s of a young man praying or reciting poetry whilst lit by the light from phones. He is surrounded by   others each with a look of desperation. It is a colour photo taken in almost pitch darkness and whilst being shot in colour it has the essence of a black and white image!  That image speaks to me! I know I am an emotional wreck, I even cry at adverts on TV but I don’t feel emotional over the image I feel connected with the young man. He is crying out for change in his and everyone around him situation. I can relate to that. As I write this the whole world is in lockdown due to corvid19 and I feel the photo could be a metaphor to the feelings of the world. Each person in the world is suffering in some way due to the virus and I feel helpless. This image portrays that feeling more than my feeble attempt to write down how I feel.
CLICK HERE to see the photo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive comments but please don’t spam me.

Litter litter everywhere can’t anyone use a bin

 I was in my wheelchair recently passing a paper shop and a man came out of the shop cigarette pack in hand, he peeled the cellophane off an...